Gather your information
You will need:
- the IRD number of the person or organisation you are registering
- your bank account number for your GST refunds
- the business' turnover in the last 12 month
- the business' expected turnover in the next 12 months
You will be asked to enter your BIC (business industry classification) code when you register. The 'Find my BIC code' tool will help you find it.
After logging into myIR, select the 'I want to...' tab
Select 'Register for new tax accounts'
Select the IRD number of the person or organisation
Select 'Goods and services tax (GST)'
Provide your contact and business details
Complete all the sections under 'General info' and 'GST registration'.
The last step is to submit your registration. We'll send you confirmation that we've received your registration.
Log in to myIR
What happens next
We will process your request within 10 working days. If we need more information we will contact you.
Your GST account will show in myIR once we have confirmed your registration.
Your GST number will be the same as your IRD number.
Once registered for GST you need to:
- charge GST to your customers
- file GST returns
- pay any GST you owe to us.
- keep GST records.