myIR, payments and more
About this service
This service allows you to file your GST return or GST and provisional tax return through myIR Secure Online Services. The form will be pre-populated with your personal information and tailored to your situation so you'll only be asked to complete sections relevant to your situation.
When to use this service
Your GST return will either:
- be available in myIR Secure Online Services, or
- be mailed to your postal address.
You can complete and submit your GST return online through myIR. Your return will be made available in your account usually at the end of your taxable period.
Once you've completed your first GST return through myIR you will no longer have a paper return mailed to you. Instead, you will receive a letter advising you that your GST return is available in myIR to be completed and submitted by the due date.
The following details will be pre-populated in your return:
- name (title, surname, last name)
- trade name if applicable
- IRD/GST number
- phone number
- bank account details
- ratio percentage (if applicable)
- taxable period
The benefits of completing and submitting your GST return through myIR include:
- The form will be pre-populated with your personal information and tailored to your situation so you'll only be asked to complete sections relevant to your situation.
- You can save a draft and come back to it later, if you get interrupted or don't have all the information immediately at hand.
- The system will do the calculations for you, making it easier and more accurate.
- You can review your return, and make changes if necessary before you submit.
- You'll receive a receipt confirmation that your return has been received successfully showing the time, date and receipt number. You can also save and print this receipt/confirmation for future reference.
- You can track the status of your GST return - whether it's due for filing, saved as a draft, being processed or completed.
If any of the information on the GST return does not match with our records there will be a delay in processing the GST return. We may need to phone you to ask which business and period the GST return was intended for.
What you will need
To complete a GST return online you will need:
- your total purchases and expenses from the relevant GST period
- your total sales and income for the relevant GST period
If you want to file your provisional tax (using the ratio method) you will also need:
- Your asset adjustment amount for the relevant period. If you're filing a monthly GST return and a compulsory provisional tax instalment is due, please have the asset adjustment amount for the previous month ready.
- Your ratio percentage will be pre-populated on your return and we'll automatically calculate your provisional tax due.
After you finish
When you have submitted this return please print the receipt page and keep it for your tax records.
This service may require you to send confidential information to Inland Revenue so it is located on a secure part of our website to prevent unauthorised interception. If you are unable to access this service, your browser and/or firewall settings may need updating.
Inland Revenue takes online security very seriously. We have systems in place to protect the information you provide us, and regularly update our standards and technology to provide protection for your personal information.
You play an important role in protecting your information by taking basic precautions to protect your computer and data. You should keep your computer secure, only deal online with people and organisations you know and trust, and check that your personal information travels across the internet on secure connections.
There are many resources about computer security (such as websites, books and magazines) that can help guide you on what security precautions are appropriate for your situation.