myIR, payments and more
Is your property sale taxable?
About this calculator
We're currently working on this decision tree and expect it to be available again in early April. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Use of this tool does not result in data being submitted to us.
When to use this calculator
Use this decision tree to help you work out if the property you are buying or selling is taxable under any of the property rules.
If you're unsure of your situation we recommend you seek advice from a tax professional.
This tool doesn’t include the following property transactions:
- If you carried on a business, an undertaking, or a scheme of developing land or dividing land into lots (including boundary adjustments)
- Land affected by change, eg, zoning, where at least 20% of the gain relates to the change to the land and sold within 10 years
- Land acquired from associated persons who would have been taxable on the sale under any of the property rules
- Land used for landfill
- Gifts of land
- Land affected by Canterbury earthquakes
- Relationship property transfers (although this is covered for the bright-line test)
- Transfers on the death of a person (although this is covered for the bright-line test)
- GST on land transactions
- Sale of leases with a perpetual right of renewal
- Sale of land development or subdivisions with contingent interests
What you will need
You'll need details of the date of:
- Registration of purchase
Note: If any dates change, you need to reassess your tax obligation.
After you finish
You may wish to print off the result or save it as a PDF or RTF document.
No information you provide while using the calculator is recorded, saved or in any way referenced by Inland Revenue. The calculator is stored on a secure part of our website to prevent unauthorised interception. If you are unable to access the calculator, you may need to update your browser and/or firewall settings.