myIR, payments and more
Student loan borrower rights and responsibilities
When you take out a student loan you have certain rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. In some situations we may exchange the information you provide us.
What's on this page
- You can get advice from an independent source about your legal obligations.
- Your student loan information is not available to anyone else without your consent. You can nominate someone to act on your behalf with your student loan account.
- You can access the personal information we hold about you as part of your Inland Revenue records. We may need proof of your identity before we provide you with a copy of this information.
- You can access your student loan information through your myIR Secure Online Services account. This includes transactions and balances.
- You can request a statement of account at anytime.
- You have the right to object to any information about your student loan.
If you think your information is wrong
You can ask us to change it - we'll assess your request and:
- change the information, or
- explain why we don't think it should change.
We'll make a note of your change request on your records.
- Make sure we have your correct name and contact details.
- Tell us if you're going overseas for 6 months or more, and the date you leave and return.
- Meet all your student loan repayment obligations until your loan is repaid.
- Keep a record of your adjusted net income (where applicable).
Updating your contact details
It's important to keep your contact details up to date so you receive the correct information about your loan. Let us know if you change your address, phone number, email or bank account. You'll also need to let us know if you go overseas.
You can change your details:
We might ask you for certain information to work out your repayments and obligations under the Inland Revenue Acts (including the Student Loan Scheme Act 2011). We may exchange this information with:
- some government agencies
- another country (if we have an information supply agreement with them)
- Statistics New Zealand (for statistical purposes only).