About this site: Your privacy
- all Inland Revenue's websites:
- myIR Secure Online Services
- My KiwiSaver
- applications and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs):
- mobile apps
- Business-to-business (B2B) APIs
- Browse our websites without providing personal information
- Non-personal information we automatically record
- Technologies we use to collect information
- Personal information we collect
- Information we don't collect
You can access and browse our websites and applications without disclosing your personal information, as we don't:
- automatically record personal information.
- link information that is recorded automatically with personal information about specific individuals.
Please note that our Secure mail service does collect and store personal information during the registration process as well as details of the correspondence sent and received.
We do not attempt to identify users or their browsing activities unless they choose to give us personal information.
If you visit our website to read or download information, we do automatically record some non-personal information in a log file, for example:
- your country and city location
- the type of hardware you have on your device, including unique device identifiers
- the type of browser you use
- the type of operating system you use
- the screen resolution of your device
- the date and time you access our site
- the mobile network information from your device
- the pages you have accessed and the documents downloaded
- the transactions you have completed
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request
- the internet address you accessed our site from
- the search terms you used to find content on our website, and
- the last site you visited before you accessed any Inland Revenue website.
We may also collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Our websites currently use Google Analytics to help analyse how customers use our sites. This analytical tool uses "session cookies", which are text files placed on your computer, to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information in an anonymous form. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your computer's internet (or IP) address) is transmitted to and stored by Google outside of New Zealand. The tracking data is stored in a database managed by Google. The tracking data is then used by Google to compile statistical reports on website activity for Inland Revenue to evaluate site use. This allows us to
- discover what information is most and least used
- determine technical design specifications, and
- help make our sites more useful to visitors.
We also use Cadreon remarketing to target relevant advertisements to you after you leave our website. When you visit certain pages on our website Cadreon may place a "persistent cookie" on your browser. Then when you later visit another website in the Cadreon Network, you may see relevant advertisements from Inland Revenue.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings on your browser. Disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use our websites.
If you'd like to enable/disable cookies, in your browser you can do this in:
- Google Chrome > Settings > Privacy
- Mozilla Firefox > Tools > Options > Privacy
- Safari > Edit > Preferences > Privacy
- Internet Explore > Tools > Options > Privacy
We also use pixel tags or third party tags to monitor behaviour. Pixel tags are also called a web beacon, web bug or a clear GIF. They are used in combination with cookies and is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a website or page.
Third party tags we may also use is from DoubleClick AdExchange to count the number of times users have visited a particular Inland Revenue webpage after seeing or clicking on one of our advertisements.
Some of our electronic services also use session cookies to identify your login session during the time that you are using the service. These cookies expire as soon as you log out or within 15 minutes of inactivity and do not contain any personal information.
Some of our websites or applications allow you to send us personal information by filling in an electronic form.
Before you send certain electronic forms to us, you will be asked to confirm that the information you have supplied is true and correct. We record this information securely and use it to update our main database, so it then becomes part of your Inland Revenue records.
We may share the information you provide with other government agencies who are entitled to the information under legislation.
Please read the privacy statement at the end of each electronic form.
Subscribing to a service or newsletter
If you subscribe to a service or newsletter through this website, we record your email address in a database. We use your email address to send you the service or newsletter. We will not disclose your email address to any third parties without your consent.
Corresponding with us
When you correspond with us, you provide us with personal information. This information may be used:
- to update our database or our records
- to share information with other government agencies who are entitled to the information under legislation
- for the purpose you supplied it to us.
We collect personal information when you:
- fill in an electronic form through one of our websites or applications
- subscribe to a service or newsletter, or
- correspond with us.
Please note that we may collect additional information (including personal information) if we believe a user is attempting to compromise one of our websites.
Your rights regarding your personal information
You can access the personal information we hold about you as part of your Inland Revenue records. Please call us on 0800 377 774 to request a copy of your personal information. We may require proof of your identity before we provide you with a copy of this information.
If you consider that some of the information we hold about you is incorrect, you can request us to change it. We will assess your request and will either change the relevant information, or explain why we think the information should not be changed. We will make a note of your change request on your records.
Who can access your personal information
We do not disclose your personal information to other visitors to our website.
We may be required by legislation to share information with other government agencies. We will not disclose your personal information to any non-Inland Revenue person or organisation, unless required by law.
How long we keep your personal information for
We will keep your personal information for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which we collected it. If your personal information becomes part of your Inland Revenue records, we will retain the information in accordance with our record retention policy.
To ensure your privacy, we will not use the web analytics tools to track or to collect any personally identifiable information of visitors to our websites, such as user IDs and passwords. We will not associate any data gathered from our sites with any personally identifying information from any source as part of our use of the web analytics tools. We will not link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user.
The Privacy Officer
PO Box 2198
Phone 04 890 6360
If you are not satisfied with our response to your concern, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10094
Phone 0800 803 909
Fax 04 474 7590
Date published: 03 Dec 2014