We collect and use your personal information in a safe and secure way during the recruitment process.
We look to remove bias in our recruitment processes. Demographic personal information is not provided to hiring managers. This includes gender identity, date of birth and ethnicity. We only use this information for combined reporting so we do not include any identifying information when we test our processes for bias.
Information we collect when you apply for a role with us
When you apply to work for us, we will collect, store, and use personal information:
- Given on the application form
- In your curriculum vitae (CV) along with any other requested documents
- You give us in correspondence with our Talent Acquisition team
- You give us during your interview
- Given by your referees, if applicable
Where we collect information from
We collect this personal information from:
- You the applicant
- Your named referee(s)
- Recruitment agencies (if used)
- Your personnel file if you are, or have been, employed by us
- From public sources like LinkedIn
- Past employers with your consent
We do pre-employment checks at stages of the recruitment process. Any employment offer we make depends on the results of:
- a criminal record check with the Ministry of Justice
- an Inland Revenue tax check
- a check on your right to work in New Zealand
- serious misconduct checks you consent to.
If we offer you a role, we will share minimal information in order to get a criminal record check and consented serious misconduct checks.
How we will use your information
We will use your personal information to:
- Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability for the role
- Keep in touch with you about the recruitment process
- Carry out reference checks, criminal record checks, confirm your right to work in New Zealand and check your tax records where applicable
- Keep records related to our hiring processes
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We may also collect for public sector statistical or research purposes. If we do this we will not publish your information in a way that could identify you.
Your information will be shared internally only for the purposes of the recruitment process.
We will share it with:
- members of the IR People and Workplace Services team
- Talent Acquisition team
- The hiring manager
- Panel interviewers involved in the recruitment process.
What else we use your information for
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive workplace where everyone can grow and succeed. We want to make sure that all of our processes are free from bias and a positive experience for anyone we interact with.
To help us understand how well we are meeting our goals we ask some optional demographic questions about yourself. Your answers to these questions are confidential and used only for research and reporting purposes.
We do not link your responses to your application to work with us. The hiring leader or the Talent Acquisition team will not see your answers. If you are successful in getting a role, we’ll transfer this information to our HR system for administrative, research and reporting purposes.
How we protect your information
We take the security and confidentiality of your information seriously as we comply with the Privacy Act 2020. We have security steps in place to stop your personal information from being accidentally lost, used, accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. We always limit the access of your personal information to those who have a business need to know.
How long we keep the information
We must comply with the Public Records Act 2005. If your application for employment is unsuccessful, we must keep your information for at least 12 months. After 12 months, we will securely destroy it following practices in our data retention policy.
If your application for employment is successful – we transfer personal information to your personnel file.
If you do not give us personal information
You are under no legal or contractual obligation to provide information to us during the recruitment process. However, if you do not provide the information, we may not be able to process your application.
Under the Privacy Act 2020, you have the right to request a copy of your personal information and ask us to change your information if it is incorrect.