Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

Do I get a refund?

On this page find the answers to the following questions:

Do I get a refund this year?

Most people who earn salary or wages pay the correct amount of tax and won't be entitled to a refund or have a tax bill at the end of the year.

The tax credits for low income earners, school children who work part time and people making childcare or housekeeper payments were removed from 1 April 2012.

See if you qualify for a tax refund in three simple steps with our "Tax Refund Workout"

Back to top

How do I find out if I'm due a refund or have tax to pay?

Your income and any refund or tax to be paid are determined through either receiving and confirming a personal tax summary (PTS) or by filing an Individual tax return (IR3).If you are not required to file and IR3 return or receive a PTS, you can still check if you are due a refund.

What is a PTS?

A personal tax summary (PTS) is for salary and wage earners and shows your income and tax deduction details for the year.

We'll send you a personal tax summary (PTS) if you need one. However, if you've paid too much or not enough tax during the year, you may need to request a PTS.

Find out if you'll be sent a PTS or if you'll need to request one 

If you do need a PTS, you can request one through myIR Secure Online Services without having to call us. If you'd prefer to phone, you can call us on 0800 775 247 and give the key phrase "Request a PTS" to request a PTS through our voice self-service.

Login or register for myIR Secure Online Services.

Find out more about how to request a PTS

Do I need to fill out an IR3?

If you earn income that has no tax deducted, you'll need to file an Individual tax return (IR3).

Find out more about filing an Individual tax return (IR3)

What if I've made a donation?

If you made financial donations to a donee organisation, you may be able to claim a tax credit. To claim a tax credit you need to file a Tax credit claim form (IR526) for the relevant tax year.

Find out more about tax credits for donations

Back to top

Have you got the right address and bank details for me?

The easiest way to check that we have the right address and bank account details for you is through myIR Secure Online Services.

In myIR you can see which address and bank account is loaded for each type of tax and you can update these details, securely and quickly.

Login or register for myIR Secure Online Services.

Back to top

I've received my PTS, what now?

Once we've sent you your personal tax summary, the next step is for you to confirm the details on it are correct.

If you don't do this and your refund is less than $600, we'll automatically confirm your PTS for you 15 days after we send it to you. If you wish to receive it before the 15 days is up, you must confirm your PTS.

If the refund is more than $600, you must confirm your PTS before we can issue it to you.

You can do this either through myIR Secure Online Service, or by calling 0800 775 247 and using the key phrase "Confirm a PTS" when prompted.

Login or register for myIR Secure Online Services.

Back to top

When will I get my refund

If your refund is under $600 and you do not confirm your PTS, we'll issue your refund after 15 days.

If you confirm your PTS and we have a bank account for you, you'll receive your refund within 5 working days. If we do not have a bank account to direct credit your refund to you, you'll receive a cheque 8 to 10 working days after you have confirmed your PTS.

Processing timeframes for refunds

Find out what our processing times are for the different refund types

Find out more about what happens and when with the PTS and refund process