Skip to Content

Individual income tax
Tāke moni whiwhi mō te takitahi

Options for filing your return

When to use

If you need to file an Individual income tax return (IR3). See whether you need to file under "Find out more" below.

What you need

You will need Where to get it
Your IRD number If you don't have this call us on 0800 227 774.
Your summary of earnings (if you earned salary or wages or schedular payments - formerly withholding payments)

You can get this information:

  • by using Look at account information under "Get it done online" (you'll need to be registered to use this service), or
  • we'll send you a summary of earnings in May.

Any other income details, such as overseas, rental property, farming or business income

Any interest or dividend statements

Any taxable Māori authority distribution statements

Any portfolio investment entity investor statements

Statements, business income records etc.
If you're filing online
If you're registered with a password You can use your myIR Secure Online Services account.
If you're not registered with a password you will need to register for myIR Secure Online Services in order to file online.

Register for myIR Secure Online Services.

If you're filing by paper
An Individual income tax return (IR3) form

If we haven't automatically sent you an IR3 return by May, you can:

  • download and print an Individual income tax return (IR3) under "Forms and guides", or
  • use the Request an IR3 taxpack service under "Get it done online", or
  • call our 0800 self-service line on 0800 257 772 to request an IR3 return (takes up to 10 working days). Remember to have your IRD number handy.

For help completing your IR3 return, see "Find out more" below.

How to file an IR3 return

You can file your IR3 return online or post it to us from May each year.

You need to file your IR3 return by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time.

Paper Complete an Individual income tax return (IR3) under "Forms and guides" and post it to us.

If you can't file your IR3 return on time

If you can't file your IR3 return on time you should apply for an extension of time. If you don't file your IR3 return on time and haven't contacted us, you'll be charged a late filing penalty. See "Find out more" below for details.

What happens next

Once you file your IR3 return, we'll process it and send you a return acknowledgement confirming your assessment within 10 weeks. See "Find out more" below to learn about understanding your assessment.

Find out more


Date published: 21 Mar 2012

Back to top