Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payment RSP Applications for the RSP for businesses affected by the 17 August alert level change are still open. Find out more

COVID-19 - Our offices are currently closed for customer visits so we can support the government’s COVID response. We will contact you if you have already booked an appointment with us. You can still contact us and get help.    Contact us

Second Resurgence Support Payment Applications for the 2nd Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) for the alert level increase that started on 17 August are now open Resurgence Support Payment

Your taxable income

Most income you get is taxable. This means we’ll include it in your end of year automatic calculation, or if you file an individual tax return – IR3 then you’ll need to declare the income.

Taxable income can include income from:

  • working including salary, wages or self-employed income
  • benefits and student allowances
  • assets and investments including Kiwisaver and rental income
  • overseas income.

Some income is not taxable, so we will not include it in your end of year automatic calculation. If you file an individual tax return – IR3, then you will not need to declare the income.

Non-taxable income can include:

  • prize money and inheritances, although interest earned from investing these is taxable
  • gifts or koha, if the giver gets nothing in return
  • reimbursing someone for money they’ve spent.

Read more about different types of income.

Types of individual income

Types of business income

If you are not sure if your income is taxable, you can contact us.

How income is taxed

Either someone else takes tax out of your income on your behalf or you pay the tax yourself.

If someone else takes tax out of your income they pass the tax on to us on your behalf. You are paid the after-tax amount.

If you pay tax yourself, you work out how much you need to pay at the end of the tax year (31 March) and pay the tax directly to us.

Last updated: 10 May 2021
Jump back to the top of the page