How to pay
You can pay your tax bill in several different ways. See "Next steps" below for information about making payments.
When to pay
The due date is 7 February following the end of the tax year (31 March). However, if you use a tax agent or accountant, you'll have until 7 April to pay.
Janet underpaid her taxes in the 2010 tax year. She received a personal tax summary (PTS) on 31 July telling her she has $210.00 in tax to pay. She must pay this on or before 7 February 2011.
If you can't pay your tax bill
If you can't pay your bill by the due date, please contact us as soon as possible. We'll go over your payment options with you and you may be able to negotiate an arrangement so you pay your amount owing in instalments. See "Find out more" below for information about setting up an instalment arrangement.
If we don't receive payment or hear from you by your due date, we'll charge interest and late payment penalties. See "Find out more" below.
Find out more
- Late payment penalties
- Instalment arrangements
- Difficulties making repayments if you have a student loan
- Correcting errors on your IR3 individual income return or summary of earnings
- Making payments to Inland Revenue
- Understanding your personal tax summary (PTS) calculation
- Understanding your IR3 individual income return assessment
Date published: 24 Aug 2009
Back to top