Before you start
You will need details of the fringe benefits you provided in:
- the last quarter if you file quarterly
- the last three quarters if you used the alternate rate and are filing the last quarter of the year,
- the last year if you file annual or income year returns.
You will need to know:
- your FBT rate
- your fringe benefits provided for the period
- details of the employees the benefits where provided to including their wages.
Access your return
Access the Returns and transactions for FBT in your myIR account.
Select the return for the period you are filing.
Complete the return details
You can choose to either
- Use my values – to complete the taxable benefits, rate and GST exempt/zero-rated fringe benefits
- Use calculation worksheets – to complete the details of the benefits you provide to each employee, the taxable value will be calculated for you.
Enter the details of the benefits your provided to your employees for the period.
Depending on your filing frequency you may need to do an alternate rate calculation.
- Quarterly filers - if you have been using an alternate rate in the first 3 quarters.
- Annual or income year filers - if you choose to use an alternate rate.
You can use the calculators below to work out your alternate rate calculation.
Review and submit your return
Log in to myIR
What happens next
You will receive a confirmation receipt as soon as you finish your return. This will tell you if you need to make a payment or are due a refund.
If you need to make a payment you can do this through:
- internet banking
- credit or debit card online
- direct debit.
If you are due a refund this will be direct credited to your account.
If you realise that you made a mistake in your fringe benefit tax return, you can correct this online.
Use this calculator to work out FBT on all benefits provided when you file quarterly FBT returns.Go to this tool
Use this calculator to work out FBT on all benefits provided when you file income year FBT returns.Go to this tool
Use this calculator to work out FBT on all benefits provided when you file annual FBT returns.Go to this tool