Make a payment
Forms and guides Ngā puka tāke me ngā puka tohutohu

Boarders, flatmates and tenants - tax responsibilities IR1037

(published June 2015)

About this guide

The income you earn from boarders, flatmates or tenants staying in your private home or on your property, may be taxable. This includes granny flats, sleepouts and caravans. Your tax responsibilities (IR1037).

PDF | 97kb | 2 pages

When to use this guide

Use this factsheet if:

  • you're a boarding service provider
  • you have a homestay, students or flatmates paying to live in your home.

It will help you to work out if you need to declare this income for tax purposes.

What you will need