Skip to main content

Service changes and updates IR offices, myIR and phone lines (SPK2IR) are unavailable until the morning of Thursday 28 October for planned system maintenance. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) You will not be able to apply for the RSP in myIR until the morning of Thursday 28 October. Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August can apply in myIR from 28 October. Applications for a 4th payment round are planned to open on 29 October. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) The government has announced an increase to the amount and frequency of the RSP from 12 November. Find out more

Te tono whakatārewatanga penapena Apply for a savings suspension

If you want a break from making KiwiSaver contributions you can take a savings suspension.

If you've been a contributing member of KiwiSaver for 1 year or more, you do not need to give a reason for wanting a savings suspension.

If it's an early request, we need evidence of financial hardship.

Gather your information

You'll need your:

  • IRD number, address and contact details
  • employer's business or trade name
  • employer's name and address
  • evidence of financial hardship if you have not been a KiwiSaver member for 1 year.

Log in to myIR

  • Click "KiwiSaver member' account
  • Click 'Apply for a savings suspension' under the 'I want to' tab
  • Complete the online form

Log in to myIR

If you do not have a myIR account, you can request a savings suspension through our online service.

Request savings suspension for non-myIR users

What happens next

The savings suspension begins on the date we approve your request.

We will send you a notice with the start and end dates of your savings suspension. Show it to your employer.


My responsibilities

Hold on to your notice, if you change jobs you'll need to show it to your new employer.

If you do lose it either print off a copy from My KiwiSaver or contact us to reissue it.

If you gave us your employer's details, we'll send them a notice in the mail too.

Near the end of your savings suspension we'll let you know.

If you don't apply for another suspension we'll ask your employer to start deductions again.

Last updated: 26 Jul 2021
Jump back to the top of the page