All current KiwiSaver data, including monthly data, is available in Excel downloads located on the Datasets for KiwiSaver statistics page. Annual data is due to be uploaded by 30 September.
Number of KiwiSaver members, by age as at 30 June
This graph shows the number of active or provisional KiwiSaver members of 30 June by age bracket.
This graph has 11 stacked vertical bars tracking member age by age bracket. The vertical axis shows the number of active/provisional KiwiSaver members (millions). The horizontal axis shows data from June 2013 to June 2023.
Between June 2013 and June 2023, the number of members aged:
- 0-17 decreased from 333,270 to 210,945
- 18-24 increased from 324,718 to 396,675
- 25-34 increased from 398,916 to 736,768
- 35-44 increased from 352,675 to 662,862
- 45-54 increased from 353,010 to 568,012
- 55-64 increased from 371,321 to 510,589
- 65 plus increased to 214,378
- Before 2016, members aged 65+ are included in the age bracket '55 - 64'.
- From April 2020 KiwiSaver information is reported from a new system.
Age of members and eligible population as at 30 June
This graph shows a comparison between KiwiSaver members and the eligible population as at 30 June 2023.
This graph has 2 lines tracking members against the eligible population. The vertical axis shows the percentage of total population. The horizontal axis shows member age in 5-year increments up to 65 years.
- The eligible population are those who are eligible to join KiwiSaver, regardless of whether they have joined.
- The total eligible population data is sourced from Stats NZ as at 30 June 2023.
- KiwiSaver membership numbers include people who have joined KiwiSaver and then moved overseas, and members who have died but their account is still open.
- Eligibility is indicative as Inland Revenue does not hold all the information necessary to determine eligibility. See data download for more details.