Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

When you've had too much residential land withholding tax deducted, you can apply for a refund.

Before you start

For your application, you'll need the:

  • Certificate of Title (this is on the Sale and Purchase agreement)
  • withholder's name or their entity. This is who deducted the RLWT from your sale. It has to be the same name they used on the Residential land withholding tax (IR1100) return. This is what they used to pay the RLWT.


Post or email your RLWT refund application

If you're going to post your application, make copies of your application and supporting documents. 

Post or email your application and supporting documents using the addresses on the form.

You may be able to claim a repayment when you file a tax return. This can be:

  • on your return at the end of year tax return
  • an early return. 

Claiming back residential land withholding tax

What happens next

If your application is successful, we'll let you know that we are direct crediting repayment to your bank account.

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 11 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page