Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

You can use this process to request a refund from the income equalisation or environmental restoration schemes.

We now pay all refunds by direct credit so you need to provide us with your bank account details. We no longer issue cheques.

In myIR, select 'Make a withdrawal' in your Income equalisation (EQU) or Environmental restoration (ERA) account

This is on the right side of the page.

Fill in your details

You'll need to tell us:

  • how much you want to withdraw
  • the income year in which the refund will be included as income
  • the reason for the refund, if the request is for an early refund.

Submit the request to us

Log in to myIR

Previously you would use an IR155 paper form to make deposits or request refunds. This has been removed.

If you do not have myIR, you need to write us a letter to request a withdrawal. Include:

  • the name and IRD number in which the deposit is held
  • the amount to be refunded
  • the income year in which the refund will be assessable (counted as taxable income)
  • your name and contact phone number
  • the reason for the refund if the request is for an early refund.

What happens next

Your refund will be reflected in your income summary in myIR.

The refund amount will be pre-populated into the ‘other income’ field in your income tax return.

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page