If you're a New Zealand tax resident, you can request a certificate of residency.
Before you start
You'll need to give us your:
- full name
- residential address and, if different, postal address
- date of birth
- IRD number.
You'll also need to include:
- the country or territory the certificate is for
- a statement saying whether you're only a tax resident of New Zealand or a dual resident under the relevant tax treaty
- the period the certificate is required for, and, if for more than a year, an explanation
- the number of certificates needed.
In myIR, go to 'I want to...'
Select 'Send a message'
To help direct your request, select 'This message is not relevant to a specific account' then 'Other'.
Write your message
Put 'certificate of residency' in the subject line.
Put all the details from 'Before you start' in the message body, then submit it to us.
Log in to myIR
You can also send your request to us by post. Sign and date the letter and send it to us at:
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
Note the different timeframe by post. Once we receive all the necessary information, we aim to process your request within 30 days. If your request is incomplete or incorrect, it may take longer.
What happens next
We will only issue a certificate of residency when:
- the name and IRD number you've given us matches our records
- the filing of your New Zealand tax returns is up to date
- you're a New Zealand tax resident.
Once we receive all the necessary information, we aim to process your request within 15 working days. If your request is incomplete or incorrect, it may take longer.