SEP 30Annual cycle for Reporting NZFIs submitting their CRS information to us for the previous reporting period ended 31 March, extended due to COVID-19.
SEP 30Annual cycle for Reporting NZFIs submitting their FATCA information to us for the previous reporting period ended 31 March, extended due to COVID-19.
SEP 30Annual final date for us to send FATCA information to the IRS for the period ended 31 March.
If you're a New Zealand tax resident, you can request a certificate of residency.
Gather your information
In an email, you'll need to include your:
- full name
- residential address and, if different, postal address
- date of birth
- IRD number.
You'll also need include:
- the country or territory the certificate is for
- a statement saying whether you're only a tax resident of New Zealand or a dual resident under the relevant tax treaty
- the period the certificate is required for and, if for more than a year, an explanation
- the number of certificates needed.
Log in to myIR and send us an email
To help direct your request, select 'send a message' under 'I want to', then 'This message does not concern a specific account' followed by 'something else'.
Put 'certificate of residency' in the subject line.
What happens next
We will only issue a certificate of residency when:
- the name and IRD number you've given us matches our records
- the filing of your New Zealand tax returns is up to date
- you're a New Zealand tax resident.
Once we receive all the necessary information, we aim to process your request within 15 working days. If your request is incomplete or incorrect, it may take longer.
You can also send your request to us by post. Sign and date the letter and send it to us at:
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
Note the different timeframe by post. Once we receive all the necessary information, we aim to process your request within 30 days. If your request is incomplete or incorrect, it may take longer.