If you're an entity that is a New Zealand tax resident or a trust, you can request a certificate of residency.
For trusts, what we send back to you is better described as a certificate of the taxable person's New Zealand tax liability status.
Before you start
You'll need to give us the entity or trust's:
- full name
- residential (street or registered office) address and, if different, postal address
- IRD number.
You'll also need to include:
- the country or territory the certificate is for
- a statement saying whether the entity or trust is only a tax resident of New Zealand or a dual resident under the relevant tax treaty
- the period the certificate is required for and, if for more than a year, an explanation
- the number of certificates needed.
In myIR, go to 'I want to...'
Select 'Send a message'
To help direct your request, select 'This message is not relevant to a specific account' then 'Other'.
Write your message
Put 'certificate of residency' in the subject line.
Put all the details from 'Before you start' in the message body, then submit it to us.
Log in to myIR
What happens next
We will only issue a certificate of residency when:
- the name and IRD number you've given us matches our records
- the filing of your New Zealand tax returns is up to date
- you're a New Zealand tax resident.
Once we receive all the necessary information, we aim to process your request within 15 working days. If your request is incomplete or incorrect, it may take longer.