Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

Before you start

Check if you're eligible to apply.

Can I keep my student loan interest-free overseas?

If you're eligible, we'll need:

  • a letter from you that says why you are applying to keep your student loan interest-free
  • all the supporting documents required for your situation.

In myIR, go to your student loan account

This is on the homepage once you've logged in.

Select 'More...'

Select 'Apply for overseas interest-free'

You'll find this in the 'Travelling overseas' section.

Follow the prompts to complete your application

You can attach your supporting documents to the application.

Log into myIR

If you do not have a myIR account, you can send your application by mail:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
New Zealand

What happens next

We’ll try to get back to you within 15 working days.

Our reply may take longer if you send your request through by mail.

My responsibilities

It is important to keep your contact details up to date in myIR.

Last updated: 19 Mar 2024
Jump back to the top of the page