Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

Government scholarships are partially- and fully-funded scholarships that are provided by New Zealand government departments and Crown agents. If you receive one you may be able to keep your student loan interest-free.

To keep your student loan interest-free, you will need to be receiving a qualifying scholarship for one of the following:

  • full-time study
  • a full-time internship
  • a part-time internship with part-time study.

You will need to get a letter from Education New Zealand confirming your study or internship meets the criteria and send this to us. To get this letter you’ll need to supply Education New Zealand with:

  • your full name
  • the name of the scholarship and the department or agency that administers it
  • the date the scholarship was awarded
  • the scholarship’s start and end dates
  • evidence that you’re enrolled for full-time study overseas, a full-time internship, or part-time study with a part-time internship
  • the start and end dates of the study or internship.

If we approve your application you will need to tell us your worldwide income - you may still need to make repayments while you are overseas. If you are applying for previous years, you will also need to give us your worldwide income for those tax years.

Apply to keep my student loan interest-free overseas

Last updated: 02 Nov 2020
Jump back to the top of the page