Skip to main content

Offices closed All Inland Revenue offices are currently closed to the public to help contain the spread of COVID-19.

COVID-19 - Level 2/3 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Gather your information

Before registering you will need:

  • IRD numbers for you, your partner and your child – you can still receive Working for Families payments for 8 weeks if you need to apply for an IRD number for your child
  • your estimated family income for the tax year – if you register in myIR we’ll fill in the income information we know about
  • any child support amounts paid or received by private agreement
  • your bank account number.

Log in to myIR

Go to 'I want to' and select 'More'

Go to I want to and select More

Select 'Register for Working for Families'

Select Register for Working for Families

Complete and submit your details

What happens next

You will get a notice of entitlement from us. It will tell you how much your payments will be and the date of your first payment.

You will get the notice:

  • the next day if you use myIR
  • within 10 working days if you do not use myIR.

My responsibilities

As a Working for Families customer you must:

  • check your information
  • tell us about changes to your family situation
  • tell us about changes to your income or hours of work
  • tell us about changes to your contact details or bank account.

You can give your partner access to your Working for Families information in myIR. Your partner will be able to see the same information as you and make some updates. 

It’s up to you if you give your partner access. You can cancel your partner’s access at any time.

If you do not have a myIR account you can register for one.

myIR lets you see and update your Working for Families information at any time. You can:

  • see your payment amounts and dates
  • see the information we have about your current and past income, partner and dependent children
  • update your information.
Call us on 0800 227 773
Working for Families registration

If you do not have a myIR account, you can still register for Working for Families here.

Go to this tool