Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, and to process some COVID-19 Support Payment applications. This is because of the impact of COVID-19. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

We understand that there are times when the information in a return will need to be updated. There are a number of ways you can fix mistakes in a return.

Fixing mistakes in my return

In some cases you may not be able to amend a return in myIR. In these cases, send us a message in myIR with the following information so we can make the change:

  • the IRD number of the person the return is for
  • the tax type, period and years
  • the amount of tax involved
  • a description of the change you're asking for – include the question number and name that needs updating (for example, Question 28 Other expenses)
  • why the change is needed, how the mistake happened and how you found it
  • any relevant documents, records or information supporting the request
  • if needed, details of any wrong advice we gave you.

Our Standard Practice Statement SPS 20/03 has more information about requests to amend assessments.

SPS 20/03 Requests to amend assessments

Jump back to the top of the page