Your IRD number identifies you for all the tax related events in your life. Your IRD number is unique to you, and you keep the same IRD number for life.
There is no cost when you apply for an IRD number with us.
Using an IRD number
You need an IRD number for any tax related obligations you have or entitlements you get. Common examples of when you need an IRD number include:
- earning income, for example from a job, benefit or investment
- opening a bank account
- joining KiwiSaver
- applying for Working for Families, child support or a student loan
- buying, selling or transferring property in New Zealand.
Applying for your child's IRD number
You can get an IRD number for your baby when you register their birth.
Your child will need an IRD number if they:
- earn income from any source
- get interest from a bank account or investment
- are included in your application for Working for Families or child support.
If your child did not get an IRD number at birth, you can apply for an IRD number for them.
Keep it safe
Keep your IRD number where you can easily find it. You'll need it for all tax-related events in your life.
If you lose your number we can help you find it.
Getting an IRD number
Most sources of income mean you'll need to get an IRD number.
If you do not have an IRD number when you start earning income, you'll pay a higher tax rate of 45%.