Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

You can let someone act on your behalf for your Inland Revenue responsibilities. Your nominated person can:

  • contact us and act for you
  • complete and sign your tax returns and other forms
  • receive the information we send to you.

Even though a nominated person can act for you, they cannot use your myIR login.

Who can be a nominated person

A nominated person can be an individual or a non-individual. Entities that can be nominated include:

  • companies
  • incorporated societies
  • incorporated charitable trusts
  • partnerships.

Power of Attorney

If you have been given authority to handle another person’s financial affairs (which would include the other person’s tax affairs) by being granted a power of attorney, you will need to provide IR with a certified copy of the original power of attorney document before you can deal with the other person’s tax affairs.

A certified copy is a photocopy of the original document that has been stamped/endorsed by a solicitor who has confirmed that the copy is a true copy of the original document.

Ways you can provide IR with a certified power of attorney document:

  1. Electronic scanned copy sent through myIR; or
  2. Provided over the counter at one of our offices; or
  3. Posted to the following address:
    PO Box 39010
    Wellington Mail Centre
    Wellington 5045


Last updated: 03 Feb 2021
Jump back to the top of the page