Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

You need to register with us as an employer as soon as you start employing.

Gather your information

You will need:

  • the IRD number for your business – this could be your individual, partnership, company, trust or other organisation number
  • your contact details (if you’re not registering through myIR)
  • the date you'll start employing
  • details of any fringe benefits you'll be providing
  • any specified superannuation contributions you will be making
  • any student loan payments you'll be making 
  • PAYE deduction tables
  • the number of employees you'll have, including contractors receiving schedular payments.

If you do not have an IRD number you'll need to apply for one.

Register online

You can register as an employer in myIR.

What happens next

After you've registered as an employer, we'll send you a letter with information about:

  • keeping wage records
  • making deductions from PAYE income paid to employees and contractors
  • completing and filing employer returns 
  • paying the deductions to us.

You are also registered for Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) payments. ACC will invoice you for the:

  • Work levy
  • Working Safer levy
  • Earners' levy – you deduct this as part of the PAYE from your employees pay. It covers non-work related accidents.

If you do not have myIR, you can download and print the Employer registration form.

Employer registration IR334 PDF 87KB Download form