Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has announced proposed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, the minimum family tax credit and the interest rate charged for overseas based student loans. They have also provided more information on FamilyBoost. Find out more:

Whether you're going overseas for the short or long term, you'll continue to have tax responsibilities here for as long as you're a New Zealand tax resident or receive New Zealand income.

Before you go

There are some things you need to do before you go.

Let us know if you:

  • Have a student loan, pay or get child support or get Working for Families. These payments might be affected.
  • Want options for managing your tax debt while you're away.
  • Want to give someone else authority to manage your tax while you're away. You are still responsible for filing tax returns and making payments by the due date.

Let Work and Income know if you get New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension. These payments might be affected.

Your tax residency status may change

If you move overseas for the long term you might become a non-resident taxpayer. Check your tax residency status and let us know if your circumstances have changed.

Tax residency status for individuals

Last updated: 13 May 2021
Jump back to the top of the page