Income tax Dates
AUG 28Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the standard, estimation or ratio options.
OCT 28Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the ratio option.
JAN 15Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the standard, estimation or ratio options.
Check if you need to file an IR3
Before you start, check if you need to file a return.
If you do not need to file, your income tax will be automatically assessed instead.
Gather your information
You will need:
- your IRD number
- details of your income for the tax year
- details of any expenses you want to claim.
If you received taxed income like salary or wages we'll put the details in your individual tax return. You need to check this information and change it if it's wrong.
Depending on where your income came from, you may also need to fill out some extra forms:
- a Financial statements summary - IR10 for untaxed income from your business
- a Rental income schedule - IR3R for rental income
- a Property sale information form - IR833 for any income from a taxable property sale
- an Adjust your income form - IR215 for any adjustments to your income if you received Working for Families payments or have a student loan.
If you file your return online, you can fill out these forms as part of the return.
Log in to myIR
Log in to myIR and select the tax year.
Complete your return
Our Individual income tax return guide – IR3G – will help you.
What happens next
- After you submit your return we'll let you know if you have a refund or tax to pay.
- You can fix any mistakes you make in your return after you've submitted it.
- You can use our disputes process if you disagree with our assessment.
- Send us your return by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time.
- If you cannot complete your return on time you need to apply for an extension of time. Otherwise we may charge you a late filing penalty.
- If you need to complete a return for a previous year you can do this in myIR or download and print the form.
- Make sure we have your correct contact, bank account and income information. You can update these any time during the tax year. The easiest way is in myIR, or you can call us.
If you do not have myIR you can download and print the Individual tax return form.