Before you start
Before you start, check if you need to file a return.
If you do not think you need to complete an IR3, contact us to discuss your situation. We may be able to automatically calculate your income tax assessment for you.
Gather your information
Before you start, check your contact details and bank account are up to update. You will need:
- your bank account details
- details of your income for the tax year
- details of any expenses you want to claim.
We'll provide you with details of income you received that had tax deducted, like salary or wages. If you complete your tax return through myIR, these details will be automatically included. If we send you a paper IR3 return, we'll send you a Summary of Income in the mail separately.
Depending on where your income came from, you may also need to fill out some extra forms. If you file your return online, you can fill out these forms as part of the return.
- a Financial statements summary - IR10 for untaxed income from your business
- a Rental income schedule - IR3R for rental income
- a Bright-line property sale information form - IR833 for any income from a bright-line property sale
- an 'Adjust your income' form in the 'I want to...' menu of your myIR account for any adjustments to your income if you received Working for Families payments or have a student loan.
If you complete a paper return, scroll down to the bottom of this page under 'Other ways to do this' to download and print these forms.
Complete your return
Our Individual income tax return guide – IR3G – will help you.
Log in to myIR
What happens next
- You can fix any mistakes you make in your return after you've submitted it.
- You can use our disputes process if you disagree with our assessment.
- Send us your return by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time.
- If you cannot complete your return on time you need to apply for an extension of time. Otherwise we may charge you a late filing penalty.
- If you need to complete a return for a previous year you can do this in myIR or download and print the form.
- Make sure we have your correct contact, bank account and income information. You can update these any time during the tax year. The easiest way is in myIR, or you can call us.
If you do not have myIR you can download and print the Individual tax return form.