Skip to main content

myIR maintenance | myIR will not be available on Sunday morning 10 December from midnight to 4am NZDT. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

Before you start

Part of the process of removing your company from the Companies Register is giving the Companies Register a 'no objection' letter from us. This letter from us tells the Companies Office that we have no objection to your company being removed from the Companies Register.

Request a 'no objection' letter in myIR

You can request a 'no objection letter' by sending us a web message or letter in myIR.

Include the following in your web message or letter.

  • Your company’s IRD number.
  • The date and reason your company ceased to trade.
  • Which years the final returns will be filed for, and when they'll be filed if not already. If there is a provisional tax assessment in your company's final year, we'll process the return after the final provisional tax instalment date.
  • Whether your company has any outstanding returns or debts with us (including any amounts to pay from the final return) and what's being done about them.
  • Whether you’ve distributed assets to shareholders, directors, general or limited partners or any other person or entity for less than market value including debt forgiveness. We’ll need the relevant details.
  • What company assets there are and what'll happen to them.
  • A copy of the profit and loss account and the balance sheet up to the date of closure.
  • The name and contact details for any further queries.
  • Any other information you think is relevant.

Log in to myIR

Post us a letter

Make a copy and post your letter to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

What happens next

We’ll send you a written reply. If it’s our ‘no objection’ letter, you can start the procedure to get your company taken off the Companies Register.

Last updated: 09 Mar 2022
Jump back to the top of the page