Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

You can correct your fringe benefit tax (FBT) return in myIR if:

  • you made one or more errors, and 
  • the difference in the total fringe benefit tax to pay is $1,000 or less.

You can correct the error in your next FBT return if the purpose isn't to delay the payment of tax. The total difference caused by the error is the same as or less than both:

  • $10,000, and
  • 2% of your annual gross income (i.e. turnover) or GST output tax.

Before you start

You will need details of the fringe benefits you provided in the relevant period. 

You will need to know:

  • your FBT rate
  • your fringe benefits provided for the period
  • the employees the benefits were provided to.

Locate the return

In myIR find the return that has the mistake.

  • Choose 'Returns and transactions' under the FBT section
  • Select the period you need to adjust
  • Select 'View return' and then 'Amend return'. 

Correct the error in myIR

Enter the correct details in the return and submit it.

View the new assessment

Your FBT assessment will automatically be updated.

Log in to myIR

You will need to ask us to amend your FBT return if any of the following apply:

  • the difference in the total FBT to pay is above $1,000
  • we told you that you could not deduct the expense in the earlier period
  • we’re investigating the return.

You can send us a message in myIR with the following details:

  • the return period you made the mistake in
  • the FBT amount involved and the correct figures
  • the type of mistake and why the change is needed.

Log in to myIR to send us an email

What happens next

You will get a confirmation receipt as soon as you finish correcting your return. This will tell you if you need to make a payment or are due a refund.

If you need to make a payment you can do this through:

  • internet banking
  • credit or debit card online
  • direct debit.

If you are due a refund this will be direct credited to your account.

Last updated: 18 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page