Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, and to process some COVID-19 Support Payment applications. This is because of the impact of COVID-19. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

You must pay fringe benefit tax (FBT) on contributions you make to any employee's:

  • sickness, accident or death benefit fund
  • life, pension, personal accident or sickness insurance policy
  • friendly society insurance fund superannuation scheme where employer
  • superannuation contribution tax (ESCT) does not apply
  • funeral trust.

You pay FBT on contributions you make to an insurance policy when you:

  • take out the policy for an employee and pay their premiums
  • are a life insurer and offer discounted premiums for your life insurance agents and their families.

You do not pay FBT on contributions you make to an insurance policy when you:

  • pay the premiums on a policy which an employee took out. This is included in their gross salary or wages and subject to PAYE. 
  • take out a policy for an employee, pay the premiums and gain all the benefit from the policy. Your contributions are not included with their gross salary or wage.
7 minutes
Fringe benefit tax income year calculator

Use this calculator to work out FBT on all benefits provided when you file income year FBT returns.

Go to this tool
Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page