Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

Income tax Dates

  • MAR 31
    Final date for ratio option provisional tax applications.
  • APR 7
    End-of-year income tax and Working for Families bills are due if you have an extension of time to file your income tax return.
  • MAY 7
    Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the standard, estimation or ratio options.
You need a tax code if you receive salary, wages, income tested benefits, interest, dividends or other income which has tax taken out before you get paid. Your tax code might be different for different types of income.

Do you receive an income tested benefit?

Is this tax code for the income tested benefit?

Your tax code is

Write M in the circle under question 2 of the Tax code declaration (IR330) form and give the completed form to Work and Income. Make sure you answer questions 1-4 of the IR330.

Do you want a tax code for?

What happens next

You need to declare your tax code to your employer or payer if you get:

  • salary or wages
  • a Work and Income benefit
  • New Zealand Superannuation
  • Veteran’s Pension
  • a student allowance.

If you get schedular payments as a contractor, you need to declare your tax rate or show a certificate of exemption to your payer.

My responsibilities

You need to tell your employer or payer if your tax code changes.