Make a payment
Employer responsibilities Ngā kaiwhakawhiwhi mahi takohanga

Employing staff

There are things you must do or check when a staff member starts or stops working for you, when your business changes or ceases or if you want to employ your spouse or any foreign workers.

When an employee starts or stops working for you

There are tasks that you must complete as an employer when an employee starts or stops working for you or transfers to another branch of a company.

Employing your spouse

If you employ your spouse in your business you must get approval from us to pay wages unless your business is a company.

Foreign workers

Permanent residents of New Zealand and Australia do not need a work permit to work in New Zealand. Everyone else does.

Business changes

What to do if you plan to stop employing staff (temporarily or permanently), or cease your business.