Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

If you’re buying and selling property, find out if you need to pay tax on your profits, and how to manage your tax in different situations.

When you need to pay tax on property sales
If you sell property in any of these situations, you may need to pay income tax on your profit.

Buying and selling situations
Learn how tax applies to different buying and selling situations, including inheriting property, relationship property settlements, selling overseas property and subdividing.

Income tax, GST and record-keeping – buying or selling property
Know how to manage your tax, keep good records and provide information to the right people when you’re buying or selling property.

Residential land withholding tax
If you live overseas, you may need to pay residential land withholding tax (RLWT) if you sell a residential property in New Zealand.

Property tax decision tool

If you're selling a property, work out if you need to pay tax on your profit.

7 minutes
Property tax decision tool

Use this decision tool to help you work out if the property you are buying or selling is taxable under any of the property rules.

Go to this tool
Last updated: 18 Oct 2023
Jump back to the top of the page