Skip to main content

Tamaiti, rangatahi rānei Child or young person


A child or young person can be any of these:

  • aged 14 or younger
  • aged 15, 16 or 17 and still at school
  • turned 18 on or after 1 January in the previous tax year and was still at school (not a tertiary institution).

Tax summary

You might have to pay tax. It depends on where your income comes from and how much you earn in the tax year (1 April to 31 March).

You do not need to pay tax on pocket money or an allowance.

Before you start earning salary or wages, schedular payments or bank account interest you need to:

  • get an IRD number
  • work out your tax code or rate
  • give your tax information to your employer, payer or bank.

Your employer, payer or bank will deduct tax before they pay you.

Are you self employed?

If you're self-employed and earn less than $2,340 in a tax year you don’t pay any tax on that income.

If you’re self-employed and earn $2,340 or more in a tax year you need to do a tax return at the end of the tax year to work out how much tax you need to pay.