We understand that there are times when the information in a return will need to be updated. There are a number of ways you can fix mistakes in a return.
In some cases you may not be able to amend a return in myIR. In these cases, send us a message in myIR with the following information so we can make the change:
- the IRD number of the person the return is for
- the tax type, period and years
- the amount of tax involved
- a description of the change you're asking for – include the question number and name that needs updating (for example, Question 28 Other expenses)
- why the change is needed, how the mistake happened and how you found it
- any relevant documents, records or information supporting the request
- if needed, details of any wrong advice we gave you.
Our Standard Practice Statement SPS 20/03 has more information about requests to amend assessments.