There are a number of things you must do as a child support customer to make sure you pay or receive the right amount.
Tell us about changes
You should tell us when:
- your income changes
- children come into or leave your care
- shared care arrangements change
- you want your payments to go to a different bank account
- you move to another country
- your contact details change
- you start living with the person you receive child support from or pay child support to
- you start or stop receiving an Unsupported Child's Benefit for a child
- your child starts or stops receiving a benefit
- your child is 16 years of age or older and works 30 or more hours a week
- your child gets married or enters a civil union or de facto relationship
- your child turns 18 and is no longer enrolled at and attending a registered school in New Zealand or an overseas school
- any child you pay or receive child support for is no longer a New Zealand citizen or ordinarily resident in New Zealand
- anything else changes that you think could affect your child support.
Check your information
We'll send you a notice each year and after any changes to your assessment or entitlement. You'll need to check the information is correct.
Time limits on reassessments of child support
There is a 4-year time limit on assessing past child support years. This means we cannot change your child support for a year that ended more than 4 years ago. There are some limited exceptions, for example, the child support information your assessment was based on was fraudulent or wilfully misleading.
If we do not have the right information, you'll need to update your details in myIR or give us a call.
What did you like about this page?
Please tell us how we could improve this page?
Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.
Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.