Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual for us to answer calls and myIR messages. This is because of the demand for COVID-19 business support, and the impact COVID-19 is having on our teams. We appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

COVID-19 Support Payment (CSP): Applications for the CSP are now closed. Due to the large number of applications for the CSP, there may be a delay in approving some applications. Find out more about the CSP

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

There are a number of things you must do as a child support customer to make sure you pay or receive the right amount.

Tell us about changes

You should tell us when:

  • your income changes
  • children come into or leave your care
  • shared care arrangements change
  • you want your payments to go to a different bank account
  • you move to another country
  • your contact details change
  • you start living with the person you receive child support from or pay child support to
  • you or your child start or stop receiving a benefit
  • your child is 16 years of age or older and works 30 or more hours a week
  • your child gets married or enters a civil union or de facto relationship
  • your child turns 18 and is no longer enrolled at and attending a registered school in New Zealand or an overseas school
  • any child you pay or receive child support for is no longer a New Zealand citizen or ordinarily resident in New Zealand
  • anything else changes that you think could affect your child support.

Check your information

We'll send you a notice each year and after any changes to your assessment or entitlement. You'll need to check the information is correct.

Time limits on reassessments of child support

There is a 4-year time limit on assessing past child support years. This means we cannot change your child support for a year that ended more than 4 years ago. There are some limited exceptions, for example, the child support information your assessment was based on was fraudulent or wilfully misleading. 

If we do not have the right information, you'll need to update your details in myIR or give us a call.

Child support - contact us

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 28 Oct 2020
Jump back to the top of the page