Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Re-estimate provisional tax

Elect into the loss carry-back scheme. You can do this in the ‘I want to’ section of your income tax account in myIR by selecting “Opt-in to carry-back loss”.

When asked which period you want to carry the loss back to select “2020”.

When asked if you want to estimate your provisional tax select “yes”.

Enter your new 2020 provisional tax estimation then select, "next".

Review your details and submit and confirm your information is correct.

Claim loss carry-back in your return

Where on your return to claim loss carry-back

You will need to claim the loss carry-back in your 2020 return when you file it, or by amending your return if you have already filed. In myIR choose amendment reason “loss carryback”.

Select income type “you are claiming net losses brought forward”.

Enter the carry-back loss in the “Net losses claimed this year” field or if you are filing an IR7 “Other income” or “Net losses brought forward” for an IR8, IR9 or IR44.

Report loss carried back on 2021 return

You will also need to adjust for the loss carried back when you file your return for the year the loss was made.

Enter the loss carried back in the new field provided on your income tax return.

If you are part of a group you are also required to provide your group information. You can download the template, fill in your details and send the template back to us as a secure message in myIR.

Loss carry-back group information template