myIR, payments and more
GST refunds are direct credited within 15 working days following the day of us receiving your return.
If your refund is under $5 we'll carry it forward to the next period instead of issuing to you.
If we intend to withhold payment or investigate the return, we'll let you know.
You can update your bank account in the My business section of myIR when you file your return.
Electronic GST return
When you file your GST return through myIR you can transfer the refund to:
- another account, or
You can't request a transfer of your refund if you file using accounting software. To request a refund transfer you need to file in myIR for that period.
If you're filing a combined GST and provisional tax return
You can request to offset your GST refund to your provisional tax.
Paper-based GST return
If you file a paper GST return, you need to include a note with your return requesting a transfer.
Your note should include the following information (as applicable):
- the name and IRD number to whom the transfer should be made
- whether the taxpayer is an associated person
- the tax type and period and
- whether your transfer is going to arrears under an instalment arrangement.
The date the transfer happens will depend on when you filed the return.
We pay interest on refunds and overpayments of GST for amounts over $100.
If your GST return is filed before the due date, we start calculating interest from the day after the earlier of these two dates:
- the 10th working day after you file your GST return, or
- the original due date for the GST return.
If you file your GST return on or after the due date, we’ll start calculating interest from the day after the return’s filed.
We can withhold payment of a refund to you in some situations.
- We may use a refund, or part of a refund, to pay any other taxes you owe, eg PAYE deductions or income tax.
- If you haven't filed a GST return for any taxable period, we may hold your refund until you send the overdue return.
- We won't release your refund if we aren't satisfied with your GST return. We'll check any problems first.