If you can't get through to our online services
Find out what to do if you're having trouble logging in to myIR Secure Online Services.
Check for myIR outage alerts on the blue banner at the top of the website. If there are no outages, check out the most common issues our customers experience below.
Common access issues
We've put together some helpful tips if you're having trouble logging in to myIR.
If you wish to bookmark the website page for regular use, always bookmark https://www.ird.govt.nz/
Don't use the URL inside the login screen https://services.ird.govt.nz/irsso/login.jsp
Once you have finished, make sure you use the logout button.
Trouble logging in to myIR
- if you've been copying and pasting your password - try typing it in
- make sure your password is entered in the right case (your password is case-sensitive).
If you're logging in using a smartphone
Check that you don't have an extra space character at the end of your user ID - your phone may have added one in.
If you're setting or resetting a password
- make sure you've entered the IRD number without dashes.
- check you haven't entered a zero in front of the IRD number.
- confirm the password's format is between 5 and 10 characters long and includes at least 3 letters and 1 number.
Logging in with a temporary password
- Check your user ID is correct. Your user ID is not case sensitive.
- Your temporary password is case sensitive.
- To avoid using the wrong password - copy and paste the temporary password we sent.
- Your password format could be incorrect. Delete previously saved login details for our website.
Contact us if your password reset didn't work or you didn't receive your reset email.
Blank log in screen
If you're trying to log in and don't receive an error message after you entered your user ID and password, try clearing your cache and browser history.
Logging in twice to get in
If you've saved your 'login' page as a favourite, or entered it manually as a URL in the address line, try logging in using the homepage instead.
Content and display issues
If the display doesn't look right or you can't see the menu:
- Check which browser you're using. myIR works best on Internet Explorer 6 or 7 and Firefox 2.0 and 3.0.
- You can view pages best if your screen resolution is set to 1024 X 768. Right click on your desktop and choose Properties then Settings.
Account error messages
If you get any of the following error messages, try clearing your browser history and cookies:
- unexpected error
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, select More (shows as 3 horizontal lines in the top right)
- Select History and then select Clear browsing data.
- In Clear browsing data select the boxes for Cookies and other site and plug-in data and Cached images and files
- From the menu at the top, choose the amount of data that you want to delete. If you want to delete everything choose beginning of time
- Clear browsing data
Internet Explorer 11
- Open Internet Explorer
- Select Tools, then Safety, then Delete browsing history
- In the menu, deselect Preserve favourites website data
- Select Temporary internet files and Cookies
- At the bottom of the menu, select Delete.
- Open Firefox.
- Select Menu (shows as 3 horizontal lines in the top right).
- Select History and then Clear recent history.
- Set time range to clear Everything.
- In the checklist, select Browsing and download history, Cookies and Cache.
- At the bottom of the menu select Clear now.
- Open Safari
- In the top left of the window, select Safari
- Select Preferences in the drop-down menu
- Select the Privacy tab in the new window
- Select Remove all website data
- Select Remove now in the new pop-up window that appears.
Logging in with Real Me
RealMe is a login option we offer for myIR. It's optional and you don't have to use it for our online services.
To register select Login with RealMe and Create Your RealMe Login. You'll be able to use these details for a number of government and commercial online services.
We don’t use RealMe’s Verified Identity or Second Factor Login service. This means you won’t need to have your RealMe ID verified at NZ Post or enter your six digit login code - you only need your RealMe username and password.
Find out more about RealMe
Important: myIR has a 10 character limit. If you use more than 10 characters in your RealMe password, you won’t be able to log in to myIR.