Tailored tax codes, tailored tax rates and certificates of exemption help you pay the right amount of tax if your circumstances mean you often have a large tax bill or refund. It is important to choose the correct tailored tax option.
You can use a tailored tax option if your income comes from:
- salary or wages
- schedular income
- New Zealand Superannuation
- Veteran’s Pension
- a second job or other income over and above your main job
- a benefit or ACC while you are working at the same time
- an overseas pension that is taxable in New Zealand
- business losses from previous years when you now earn salary or wages.
Tailored tax options last for up to 1 tax year. It will start on the date we approve it and end on 31 March.