Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

You need a tax code if you receive salary, wages, income tested benefits, interest, dividends or other income which has tax taken out before you get paid. Your tax code might be different for different types of income.

The tax year is from 1 April to 31 March. When working out your total income from all sources, do not include any losses you may be carrying forward from the previous year.

Tax code finder

Use this tool to find out what tax code you need for your type of income.

Do you receive an income tested benefit?

Is this tax code for the income tested benefit?

Your tax code is

Write M in the circle under question 2 of the Tax code declaration (IR330) form and give the completed form to Work and Income. Make sure you answer questions 1-4 of the IR330.

Do you want a tax code for?

What happens next

You need to declare your tax code to your employer or payer if you get:

  • salary or wages
  • a Work and Income benefit
  • New Zealand Superannuation
  • Veteran’s Pension
  • a student allowance.

If you get schedular payments as a contractor, you need to declare your tax rate or show a certificate of exemption to your payer.

My responsibilities

You need to tell your employer or payer if your tax code changes.

You can also look at the charts in Tax code declaration - IR330 to work out tax codes for main, secondary or other types of income. Make sure you read the notes to be sure of your choice.