Skip to main content

Service changes and updates IR offices, myIR and phone lines (SPK2IR) are unavailable until the morning of Thursday 28 October for planned system maintenance. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) You will not be able to apply for the RSP in myIR until the morning of Thursday 28 October. Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August can apply in myIR from 28 October. Applications for a 4th payment round are planned to open on 29 October. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) The government has announced an increase to the amount and frequency of the RSP from 12 November. Find out more

You may have eligible expenses you can claim against your income. You can claim:

  • the cost for someone to complete and file your income tax return. For example, any amount paid to an accountant or tax agent
  • commission on interest or dividend income (but not your bank fees)
  • interest you paid us if you were late paying your tax
  • interest on money you borrowed to invest – if the investment will produce taxable income
  • premiums on loss of earnings insurance – if the benefit from the policy is taxable income.

Log in to myIR

Select the 'Income Tax' tile

Select the 'Periods' tab.

Select 'Request to complete'

Complete the steps and answer the questions.

In the income tax return you will see a step 'Build your return'.

At Step 4 'Build your return', make sure you have 'Non-business expenses' showing under 'Information below Inland Revenue holds for the period 01 April xx to 31 March xx'.

If you have 'Non-business expenses' showing, you can continue through to complete your return.

If 'Non-business expenses' is not displayed you must add it, then you can add these expenses to your return.

Complete Income Tax Return

As you go through the steps, (Step 9 Deductions) you will see 'other expenses'. Enter the amount of your total expenses along with the details.

Continue through the steps to finalise your income tax assessment. Review the details and 'Submit'.

You will receive confirmation the return has been sent to us.

What happens next

We'll send you an income tax assessment. This shows if you:

  • are due a refund
  • have tax to pay
  • have paid the right amount of tax during the year.

My responsibilities

You may be asked to provide more information on the expenses you add to your income tax assessment.

Make sure we have your correct contact, bank account and income information.

Manage your investment income allocation from joint accounts. If you have supplied your investment income provider with your IRD number, you can do this in myIR.

You can update these any time during the tax year. The easiest way is in myIR.

Last updated: 02 Aug 2021
Jump back to the top of the page