Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

You need to file your IR3NR by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time. Contact us if you need more time, otherwise we may charge you a late filing penalty.

Before you start

You will need:

  • your IRD number
  • details about the untaxed and taxed income you received in the tax year
  • details about any expenses you want to claim.

In myIR, go to your income tax account

Then select 'More...'

Select 'File or amend a return'

You'll find this under 'Payments, refunds and returns'.

Select your return and follow the prompts to complete it

  • Select your income types.
  • Enter the required information.
  • Complete any additional forms that apply to your situation.

Log in to myIR

What happens next

After you submit your return we will let you know any refund you are due or tax to pay.

In most circumstances, you can fix any mistakes you in your return after you've submitted it. You cannot do this if you have made a payment toward a bill when you submitted your return.

You can use our disputes process if you disagree with our assessment.

Last updated: 23 Oct 2023
Jump back to the top of the page