Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August are able to apply for a Resurgence Support Payment. Find out more

COVID-19 - Our offices are currently closed for customer visits so we can support the government’s COVID response. We will contact you if you have already booked an appointment with us. You can still contact us and get help.    Contact us

If you disagree with a disputable decision or assessment we've made, or want to propose an adjustment to your tax return, you can start the disputes process. This is called a taxpayer-initiated dispute.

The disputes process is designed to resolve disagreements as quickly as possible by:

  • identifying all issues early
  • full disclosure of the facts and evidence
  • consultation between us. 

Your rights and responsibilities as a taxpayer when starting the disputes resolutions process are outlined in Standard Practice Statement 16/06. 

SPS 16/06 Disputes resolution process commenced by a taxpayer

If we've started the disputes process this is called a Commissioner-initiated dispute and follows a slightly different process.

When we start the disputes process

Do you need professional advice?

We recommend that you get independent advice from an accountant or other professional tax advisor if you want to go ahead with your dispute. This is especially important if complex issues are involved. 

Because of the nature of the disputes process, we cannot fill in or draft any notices or forms on your behalf. However, we can help by explaining things like the forms you need and what time limits apply, or by referring you to our booklets and guides on the disputes process.

Last updated: 31 May 2021
Jump back to the top of the page