Skip to main content

Your organisation needs to prove to us that it's a not-for-profit before you can claim any benefits like paying less or no tax. You do this by sending us 1 of the following.

  • Proof that you’re a registered charity with Charities Services.
  • Proof that you're a registered community housing provider with the Community Housing Regulatory Authority.
  • Your rules or constitution showing that you meet the requirements to be a not-for-profit, even if you cannot be registered with Charities Services.

Write to us

Once you’ve got your IRD number, ask us in writing to approve you as a not-for-profit. Attach your proof.

If we’re satisfied that you meet the requirements, we’ll update our records and send you a letter.

Contact us by email at [email protected]

Or by post at:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Backdating your tax benefits

If you’ve been running your organisation for a while but never applied to us as a not-for-profit, we may be able to backdate the tax benefits to your organisation’s start date. It depends on your situation.

To find out more, contact us at [email protected]

Get your documents right at the start

Make sure your rules or constitution contain all the right information before you get in touch with us.

Use the right wording in your not-for-profit rules or founding documents

Last updated: 20 Apr 2023
Jump back to the top of the page