Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

When your trust or estate has been wound up or terminated so that all property has been distributed and there will be no further income, you should ask us to 'cease' the trust or estate.

You may need to provide a copy of the accounts to the date the trust or estate ceased, and the resolution or minutes showing that its assets have been distributed.

We can then close the account in our system.

Please ensure all taxes have been paid and all tax returns have been filed.

If the trust or estate is no longer earning income yet will still continue to hold assets, we will not be able to cease your account. Instead, you can tell us the trust or estate is non-active so it is not required to file income tax returns. If the trust or estate receives any income in the future, you will need to let us know. Our 'Trusts and tax residency' page has more information about non-active trusts and estates:

Trusts and tax residency

In most cases, a request to cease a trust or estate must be made in writing. You can ask us to cease your trust or estate over the phone if the trust or estate:

  • has an IRD number
  • is a non-trading trust with no income
  • has no income-bearing assets.

An example of a non-trading trust is a family trust that owns only a family home with no other assets.

You can post your request to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Last updated: 05 Sep 2023
Jump back to the top of the page