Skip to main content

We're experiencing some issues with myIR, including connecting through software You may not be able to log in, or it might be slow to load. You'll only be able to access myIR for 15 minutes at a time, and changes are not being saved automatically.

Our offices Our offices in Greymouth and Wellington are currently closed to the public. All of our other offices are open. Update on our offices

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

If you're coming to New Zealand and you would like to know your tax obligations, see our 'International tax for individuals' section.

International tax for individuals

When coming to New Zealand, there are other programmes that you may want to keep in mind. Even if you're not eligible or they do not fit your current situation, you may want to use them in the future.


KiwiSaver is a voluntary savings scheme to help set you up for retirement. You can join KiwiSaver if you're both:

  • a New Zealand citizen or entitled to live in New Zealand indefinitely
  • you live or normally live in New Zealand.

You cannot join KiwiSaver if you have a temporary, visitor, work or student visa.

If you work in New Zealand, make sure your employer knows that you cannot enrol in KiwiSaver. If you're accidentally enrolled, contact us to reverse your enrolment.

How KiwiSaver works

Working for Families

Working for Families tax credits are payments for families with dependent children aged 18 or under. To apply, you need to meet either of the following residency requirements.

  • You're a New Zealand resident and have been in New Zealand continuously for at least 12 months at any time. You must also be a tax resident to be entitled to the payments.
  • The child or children you're claiming for are both resident and present in New Zealand. 

You may not be eligible for this programme right away. If you'll be here in the long term, you may want to keep it in mind. In addition to the residency requirements, you'll need to meet the main criteria.

If you have a temporary tax exemption, it is important to know that applying and getting Working for Families will cancel it.

Can I get Working for Families?

Child support

It's best to contact the service in your home country to see how your move will affect your current child support agreement.

If you're looking to set up a child support arrangement through Inland Revenue, your children will need to be living here more than 183 days or New Zealand citizens.

If you're moving from Australia, we have a reciprocal agreement to help organise child support payments.

I am overseas

Student loans

If you're new to New Zealand, see if you're eligible for a student loan.

StudyLink - Coming to New Zealand to study

If you've been overseas and are returning to New Zealand, you'll need to know if this affects your student loan.

What happens to my student loan when I go overseas