You can choose to strengthen security for your myIR profile by using two-step verification.
If you set up two-step verification, you’ll need to provide a unique security code each time you log into myIR. You can choose to receive security codes by email or with an authenticator app on your mobile device, or you can set both up.
Where to set up two-step verification
If you’ve registered a new myIR account or logon, you'll be taken to the two-step verification set up page the first time you log in.
If you want to use two-step verification, you can set it up by selecting your preferred method. If you do not want to use it, you can select ‘Don’t use two-step verification’ to disable it. You can choose to set it up later from 'Manage my profile' within myIR.
If you have an existing myIR account or logon, you can set up two-step verification within your myIR profile. Go to ‘Manage my profile’ and select ‘Change two-step settings’ on the Security panel to enable it.
Manage two-step verification
You can manage your two-step verification settings from the Security panel in ‘Manage my profile’.
From here you can:
- enable or disable two-step verification settings
- manage your two-step verification settings to receive security codes by authenticator app, email, or both
- revoke trusted devices and browser.
Use email to receive security codes
From the two-step verification set up page:
- select ‘Use email’
- select ‘Save’. An email with your myIR security code will be sent to your email address
- enter the security code in the field on the screen and ‘Confirm’.
When you cannot receive security codes by email
Two-step verification security codes can only be received by email if the email address being used is unique to myIR. If there is more than one myIR logon using your email address, you’ll see a message advising you cannot receive your security codes by email.
You can either update the email on your myIR profile so that it is unique, or you can choose to receive your security codes by authenticator app instead.
Use an authenticator app to receive security codes
From the two-step verification set up page:
- select ‘Set up authenticator app'
- If you do not have an authenticator app on your device, you can download one from your app store. Any authenticator app that generates time-based one-time passwords (TOTP) can be used.
- In your authenticator app select ‘Add account’
To set up the myIR account on the authenticator app, scan the QR code on the screen with your mobile device. A myIR account will then be created on your authenticator app.
If you cannot scan the QR code, you can manually enter the onscreen code provided into the authenticator app.
Once the account is set up in the authenticator app, you’ll see a six-digit code that changes frequently. Most apps display a timer, so you know when the code is going to expire. Then:
- Select ‘Save’.
- Get the six-digit code by selecting the account on your authenticator app. Check you have enough time before the code expires, or wait for the next code.
- In myIR, enter the security code in the field on the screen and select ‘Confirm’.
Log into myIR with two-step verification
When you log in to myIR with two-step verification set up, you’ll always need to enter the six-digit security code. Enter the security code you receive by your preferred method.
If you have both the authenticator app and email set up, you only need to enter one code. myIR requests the authenticator app code by default. To enter an emailed security code instead, select ‘More options’ on the two-step verification page and then ‘Get an email with your security code’.
If you enter the wrong security too many times, you'll have to wait at least 15 minutes before trying to log in again. You’ll be sent a new code each time you log in.
Trust this device
When you enter your two-step security code after logging into myIR, you can also select ‘Trust this device’. This means you will not need to enter a security code the next time you log in using the same browser on that device. You can use this setting for multiple devices and browsers.
Lost access to a device
If you have lost access to a trusted device:
- Log into myIR, go to ‘Manage my profile’ and select ‘Change two step settings’
- On the ‘Trusted devices and browsers’ panel, select ‘Revoke all’. This will remove all saved devices and browsers, and a two-step verification code will be required to access your myIR account from any device.
Reset two-step verification
You may need to reset your two-step verification settings, possibly because you do not have access to the email address on your myIR profile anymore, or you inadvertently uninstall your authenticator app.
If you are the owner of the myIR account, you’ll need to contact us to have two-step verification reset for your myIR profile. You will be prompted to set up two-step verification when you next log in.
If you are the owner or administrator of a myIR account, and you manage access for user or administrator logons created for other employees, you can reset their two-step verification settings for them. When you do this, the employee using the logon will receive an email advising that their two-step verification has been reset.
Updating your myIR profile email address
It’s important that you keep your myIR profile email address up to date.
If you receive your two-step verification security codes by email:
- The two-step verification email address will automatically be updated when you change the email address on your myIR profile.
- Two-step verification will automatically be removed for email, if you update your myIR profile email address to one that is shared by other myIR profiles. If email is the only two-step verification set up, then once removed, you will be prompted to set up two-step verification when you next log in.