Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes and provided more information on FamilyBoost. Find out more: FamilyBoost

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, and the minimum family tax credit. Find out more: Personal income tax threshold changes

If you're a New Zealand tax resident and you earn between $24,000 and $48,000 in a tax year, you might be able to get the independent earner tax credit (IETC).

Your type of income counts

You can get the IETC on income from:

  • salary or wages
  • ACC compensation payments
  • paid parental leave
  • investments
  • self-employment
  • business that is run through a trust
  • other types of business income.

You cannot get the IETC if:

  • you or your partner are entitled to Working for Families Tax Credits
  • you receive an income-tested benefit
  • you receive New Zealand Superannuation
  • you receive a Veteran’s Pension
  • you receive an overseas equivalent of any of the above.

IETC is worked out on whole months. If you receive any of the above payments at any time during a month, you will not be entitled to IETC for that whole month. 

How much you can get

If your income (before tax) in the tax year is between:

  • $24,000 and $44,000 – you get $10 per week
  • $44,001 and $48,000 – your entitlement reduces by 13 cents for every dollar you earn over $44,000.

Your before-tax income does not include any losses you may have brought forward from previous years.

Am I eligible for the IETC?

Depending on your sources of income, you'll either get this tax credit by giving your employer the right tax code or filing your tax return. The most you can receive is $520 per year.

How to get the IETC

The way you get the IETC depends on where your income comes from. The following pages explain how you can get it in different situations.

Getting the independent earner tax credit if you earn salary or wages

Getting the independent earner tax credit if you get income from other sources

Getting the independent earner tax credit if you move from a benefit to a job

Last updated: 13 Jun 2024
Jump back to the top of the page