Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, and the minimum family tax credit. Find out more: Personal income tax threshold changes

If you're a non-parent carer, use this form if you want to stop getting child support payments from 1 of the liable parents. This is often called waiving payments.

Before you start

You'll need:

  • the name of the liable parent the waiver applies to
  • to list which child or children this applies to
  • the date you want the waiver to start
  • to check your contact details are up to date in myIR.

In myIR, select 'More...' from the Child support - receiving carer account panel

Select 'Apply for a payment waiver'

Complete the details and submit

Log in to myIR

You can tell us in writing or by calling us.

If you write to us, check you've included your correct information and any documents we need. Sign the letter and send your documents to us at:

Child Support
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Child support - contact us

What happens next

We'll waive the payments from the liable parent named in the form, starting from the date you request.

My responsibilities

If you want to restart payments for the same parent, use the request ‘Cancel a payment waiver’.

If you want to stop getting your child support from both parents, you need to cancel your child support entirely.

Cancel a payment waiver

Cancel your child support

If you're getting the Unsupported Child's Benefit, you cannot cancel child support for that child.

If this applies to you but you want to cancel child support for other children you don’t receive Unsupported Child’s Benefit for, please call us or send us a message in myIR.

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 20 Jul 2023
Jump back to the top of the page